Guide to Exploring CareersYour education is an important element in launching your career path. But it’s also important to find your passion, research opportunities that match your passion, get experience in the real world by talking to people in your interest areas, and build you work experience and leadership skills. Below is a step-by-step process for finding your interests to getting experience and ultimately a career. Feel free to jump ahead if you prefer and start exploring these great resources. Have fun planning your future!
There’s a huge variety of job options to explore. In this step you’ll dig deeper to see how much education you’ll need and what each job’s demand and earning potential are.
- Explore careers in the 15 different career pathways
- Explore how much you can earn in different careers on Salary Surfer
- Discover careers with a bright future in our region at My Next Move
Once you find some areas that interest you, get out there and start talking with people who already work in the field you’re interested in.
- Watch interviews with professionals already working in the field on Road Trip Nation
- Work part time as an intern (paid or unpaid) to gain employability experience
- Seek out mentors. These are people that believe in you and help you reach success. Learn more on Career Café
This is where you get ready to launch your career by searching for jobs, building up a social network, writing resumes, and mastering the art of interviewing.
- Learn what you need to prepare for the job market on Career Café
- Search and apply for jobs on CalJobs
Folsom Lake College Career and Transfer Services Center
The office of Career and Transfer Services is a resource center designed to assist Folsom Lake College students in developing their career plans and the skills necessary to pursue their future careers.Get career resources on-campus at FLC
Additional Online Resources
- START by identifying your interests, strengths, skills, and passions and which options will lead you in the direction of a fulfilling career.
- EXPLORE California’s 15 Career Pathways in depth to learn which occupations may align with your interests and anticipated level of education.
- EXPERIENCE work-based learning through internships, apprenticeships and mentorships. Learn how to do an informational interview and uncover what type of work best suits you by talking directly to professionals in that field.
- PREPARE by learning the tricks of the trade from hiring managers and top level executives on everything from writing your resume to acing the job interview.
- APPLY with CalJOBS, a full service employment center for community college students where you can post your resume, apply to jobs and internships, and search training opportunities.
The California CareerZone system is a career exploration website that allows students and job seekers like you to learn more about the world of work and how you can be successful in it. The system is intuitive and easy to use so that you can jump in and explore careers, colleges, degrees and job opportunities right away.