Hiring Student InternsThe Work Experience and Internship Program is an experiential academic program which allows students to apply what they have learned in the classroom to a work environment while earning college credit.
How the Work Experience & Internship Program Works for YouThe program markets and recruits students specific to your organizational needs. Those students who have decided on a major, and are ready for on-the-job training, are matched with like occupations in your environment. An internship job description guides us to meet your specific needs. Students are pre-screened on our campus. Initially, we require our students to interview with program staff, submit college transcripts that demonstrate our students are in good academic standing and have completed necessary coursework and submit a resume. They complete this process by interviewing with you. Both employers and students have the option to accept or reject an internship opportunity.
Benefits of Hiring InternsInterns give employers the opportunity to:
- Create, develop, and complete special projects in your work environment
- Accomplish tasks which free higher paid professionals for more advanced work
- Integrate ambitious students into your organization through a structured, centralized process
- Recruit, train, and evaluate future professional and semi-professional employees
- Expose students to existing organizational practices and procedures
- Promote closer ties between your organization, the college, and the community
How to Hire an Intern
- Register and post your internships on the Los Rios Internships & Career Services (LINCS)
- Once activated, your internship position will be viewable to students
- Students will be prescreened by program staff
- Qualified student resumes will be sent to you for your review by program staff
- You select the best student(s) to fit your needs through an interview
- The student enrolls and attends a weekly Work Experience class
Additional Online Resources
The Los Rios Internships & Career Services (LINCS) combines three college services that assist students and alumni with career training and employment needs. The Career Center, CalWORKS, and Co-op Work Experience and Internship Programs have teamed together to meet your job or internship search needs…and it’s free! Through this site you can view available internships and jobs in the Sacramento region, post your resume for employers to view, and learn valuable tips on creating resumes and cover letters.
A new online database being developed by the Foundation for California Community Colleges and the nonprofit Linked Learning Alliance aims to match high school and community college students with employers willing to hire them as interns. Linked learning programs combine academics with real-world work experience.
The database, called LaunchPath, is the first of its kind in California. The online program will allow students and teachers to peruse and apply for internships at participating employers. Employers will be able to see if students have the qualifications and skills they’re seeking, making it easier to determine if applicants are the right fit.
The CalJOBS system is a redesigned online resource to help job seekers and employers navigate California’s workforce services by providing employment and labor market information for the State of California. The enhanced system allows users to easily search for jobs, build résumés, access career resources, find qualified candidates for employment, and gather information on education and training programs.